God continues to add pastors and churches to our network, and we cannot be more grateful! Please join us in welcoming our latest church to partner with Sojourn Network: One Savior Church in Guyton, GA, where Steven Canfield is the lead pastor. Read their story, celebrate their wins, and please pray for them in 2017!
One Savior's Story
One Savior Church is located in Guyton, GA on a 49 acre campus located 17 miles NW of Savannah. In November of 1994, Rev. David Askins, Director of Missions for the Savannah Baptist Association, met with Rev. Lamar Duke and shared a dream of planting a new church in southern Effingham County. The goal was originally to be a church designed to meet the needs of residents not being reached by traditional churches. Windsor Forest Baptist Church became the Mother Church for this new work. Rev. Lamar Duke was called as the first pastor.
On February 1, 1996, Pastor Duke and his wife Dolly, met with a group of 25 people and shared the vision God had given him to “Build bridges over which persons may move from real life into a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ,” thus began South Effingham Community Church.
About five years ago our current Pastor, Steven Canfield, with our elders lead our church over about a year and a half process of transitioning to a more gospel-centered mission and overall thought process. We changed our name to One Savior Church, adjusted our bylaws, and our covenant membership commitment. We changed our mission statement to: "We exist to spread a passion for the glory of Christ by making disciples in our community, Savannah and the world."
Key Wins in 2016
- We added a new elder to our team!
- We completed another round of a newer discipleship process we have chosen to make a key part of our process.
- We started a new home group and added new members, and set in motion a new women's ministry to help provide connection and spiritual care for our ladies.
How You Can Pray in 2017
- Our lead pastor's family is struggling physically with Lymes Disease.
- We would like to see a significant movement of God's Spirit in converting those who have heard the gospel time and time again but have not yet trusted Christ.
- We would like direction from God in our working toward transitioning our current youth/worship pastor toward church planting.