At a glance...
This is a cohort focused on understanding the unique challenges and opportunities facing the church in our world today. There will be a significant emphasis on how we might help our congregations navigate the issues.
- Guided study (50-100 pages of reading per month).
- One year
- 10 calls (some calls will include guests for ask-me-anything forums)
- 1 in-person gathering at the 2017 Leader’s Summit
- Additional ad-hoc calls if/when significant cultural issues arise.
$500 plus books ($30-50 for books)
Mike will be teaching and leading a series of conversations about ministry in a post-Christian world. At the end of the cohort, participants will have a deeper understanding of where we are as a culture and what unique challenges and opportunities our cultural moment provides. Discussions will cover broad historical and political movements, racial tensions, prevailing attitudes about spirituality, strategies related to the vision for our churches and evangelism, and much more.
Participation will include:
- Guided Reading and Analysis meant to help gain insight into the world we live in.
- Additional reading and teaching focused on preaching and teaching with an eye towards our post-Christian neighbors.
- Monthly, 1-hour Discussion via Conference Calls and/or Zoom/Skype
- Ongoing Discussion via Slack dealing with Culture and Current Events.
- In-person cohort during the Sojourn Network Leaders' Summit (Fall 2017)
- Additional ad-hoc calls/discussions in response to serious cultural events.
- Ask-Me-Anything Forums, including special guests.
For 16 years, Mike served as one of the founding pastors at Sojourn Community Church in Louisville, Kentucky. He started Harbor Media in 2016. He's the author of several books, including The Stories We Tell (Crossway, 2014) and Recapturing the Wonder: Transcendent Faith in a Disenchanted World (Intervarsity Press, coming in 2017). He and his wife Sarah live in Louisville, Kentucky, with their daughters, Dorothy and Maggie.
You can follow him on Twitter, where he spends too much time.
Because I value your time, reading will be limited and focused, primarily being essays and excerpts of books. Required reading will be 100 pages or less each month. Much of the reading will be available online or as pdf’s. A few books will have to be purchased. Reading will focus on the ideas shaping our culture, though some review of basic Christian cultural analysis will happen at the start. Evangelism will be a theme throughout. Towards the end, we will have more discussion regarding how we talk about spirituality and Christianity in this environment. Essays and books will include writing by:
- David Foster Wallace
- Hannah Arendt
- Yuval Levin
- James K.A. Smith
- Charles Taylor
- Russell Moore
- Reinhold Neibuhr
Cost and Schedule...
- 10 calls between January-December
- In-Person Gathering for cohort members at the Sojourn Network Leaders' Summit.
The cost of the cohort will be $500/person, not including books (less than $50 – probably less than $30), not including travel/lodging/meals for the mini-conference.