step 3: assessment
With Steps 1 & 2 complete, the next step is to undergo an assessment to identify your strengths, uncover possible areas of growth, and determine whether church planting with Sojourn Network is right for you.
THE ASSESSMENT PROCESS
A pastoral representative from the planter’s sending church will complete our pastoral recommendation form on behalf of the planter, affirming his qualifications to plant and their recommendation for the planter to begin the network assessment
The planter and his wife complete their written paperwork which consists of:
- The Church Planter Questionnaire
- The Church Planter Wife Questionnaire
- Enneagram profile
- Prepare-Enrich marriage profile
- The planter will also submit a sermon that will be evaluated by our assessment team prior to the assessment day
The planter and his wife will attend a 1-day in person assessment retreat with our assessment team in order to carefully consider the calling, qualifications and chemistry of the couple desiring to plant a church through Sojourn Network.
Frequently asked questions about assessment
What is the purpose of the assessment retreat?
Sojourn Network highly emphasizes relationships, and we carry that same emphasis into our assessment as well. Our assessment day is a very relational time in which the planter and his wife have face-to-face interviews with a team of assessors, which provides an opportunity for genuine emotions and experiences to be expressed that cannot always be captured in e-mails or phone calls. We want to be able to communicate our care and support for the planter and his wife through the interview process and shared meals during the retreat.
What are the main areas that the assessment team will cover with the planter and his wife?
The assessment areas covered at the retreat are centered around:
- Head (Theology),
- Heart (Marriage and Personal Health, Spiritual Vibrancy),
- Hands (Church Planting Readiness/Leadership/Preaching) and,
- Habitat (Missional/Relational Lifestyle).
How much does the assessment cost?
Sojourn Network does not charge an initial assessment fee. However, the planter can expect to pay:
- $10 for the Enneagram test,
- $40 for the Prepare-Enrich marriage assessment,
- travel costs to the assessment retreat.
Sojourn Network reimburses the couple for the cost of the hotel the night before the assessment day and covers all of the meals the day of the retreat.