This cohort is specifically designed to coach worship leaders who desire to lead gospel-formed gatherings that engage people through liturgy, songs, and prayers and call them to respond to the glory of God with hearts of praise and worship.
It’s specifically designed for worship leaders who are in their first 5 years of leading, or first 5 years of a church plant, or who are newer to the ideas of a gospel-formed liturgy. The content will be shaped around forming a solid foundation (theological, practical, and personal) that will support a healthy and vibrant long-term ministry as a worship leader.
COHORT SCHEDULE AND LESSON PLAN
- Before each cohort call, participants will need to read a few chapters from the books listed below along with a few articles, taking notes on a few particular concept. This will take ~2-4 hours of prep in the weeks before each call.
- During each call, we will also spend time caring for, encouraging, and praying for each other in regards to our personal lives and ministries.
January 2017 - May 2018
- Monthly Cohort Coaching:
- 90min Video Conference Call
- Once a month, on the 3rd Thursday, at 1:00pm-2:30pm.
1:1 as requested and scheduling allows, at least one every 2 months, no more than once a month.
- January: A Theology of Worship, the Glory of God, and the Holy Spirit
- February: Why the Church Gathers: Worship and Spiritual Formation
- March: A Gospel Formed Liturgy
- April: Music and the Power of the Arts
- May: The Worship Leader
Required Books and Reading:
Select chapters from the following books will be assigned a few weeks before each cohort:
- Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts - Harold M. Best
- Christ-Centered Worship: Letting the Gospel Shape Our Practice - Bryan Chapell
- Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel - Mike Cosper
- You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit - James K. A. Smith
- Additional articles may also be distributed a few weeks before each cohort
Joe Byler, Lead Pastor of Veritas Community Church: Short North in Columbus Ohio. Joe helped plant Veritas and served as the worship pastor for the first 8 years of the church before transitioning to a lead pastor role. He continues to lead worship at Veritas occasionally. He has over 15 years experience leading worship and gatherings.